Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself. Harvey S. Firestone

The people with whom you work reflect your own attitude. If you are suspicious, unfriendly and condescending, you will find these unlovely traits echoed all about you. But if you are on your best behavior, you will bring out the best in persons with whom you are going to spend most of your waking hours.

Some people get spiritual because they see the light and some people get spiritual because they feel the heat!

How do you know if you're truly a servant? See how you react the next time someone treats you like one.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

From The Corner Of My Mind

* It's a cool 42 degrees this morning. The wind is going to change and come out of the south and warm things up. Temps in the 70s by afternoon.
* Long range forecast is showing a cool down early in the week for next week. Good campfire weather at the races. Extra long forecast is showing no rain for race weekend. It usually rains that weekend, so we will see.
* I have our tickets, camping spot tickets and parking passes. Going to get the camper ready on Monday.
* Got a call from some of our camping party that is coming in from Corpus. Their generator set up has fallen through and they put us in search mode for one. I have to find a 10k Whisper Quiet around here somewhere that will run 3 campers.
* I agree RPM on the cattle problem yesterday. I think there are bigger problems. I didn't speak to the landowner personally or I would have mentioned it. The info I got came from the coyote hunter. I have been around cattle all my life and I know when 9-10 cows die in that small of an area that there is a bigger problem than coyotes. I didn't think Blackleg though. Doesn't that generally affect younger cattle?
* Ratherbesailin.......I don't know. You have me stumped. If my memory serves me right, I had a lake friend whose email used to start with "ratherbesailin". Were you the "Captain" of a ship that I was a deckhand on one time in a Regatta, and we had a crash?
* Getting run over by a much larger sailboat on Lake Texoma is no fun by the way. Been there done that!
* We didn't sink though. We even duct taped the holes back up and went back and finished the race.
* I used to coordinate and teach fire prevention at the elementary schools in Bridgeport every year from the time my girls started school till they moved into middle school. I miss that.
* In the last few months I have had a few "stop and think" moments. You know when your reading something or watching something on tv and it makes you think of something that relates to your life. W-spouse and I were discussing a 50 year wedding anniversary coming up and since then it has really hit me that in one year I will be 50. I remember a friend of mine turning 50 a few months ago and he is now 66. I remember Papa Harold turning 50......and now I will be soon. WHOA!
* I am also a grandfather. I was just building a playhouse in the front yard for my girls a few years ago, and now I'm looking for one for my grandchildren. WHOA!
* What I have realized more than anything over the last few months since the grandkids were born, is to savor the moments. Stop and enjoy them. Try to remember each hug, each kiss, smile and giggle. I was always in such a big hurry with my girls. Always in a hurry to go here, go there, anticipating the next thing to do. I have learned the hard way to STOP and enjoy the moments.
* I don't have a problem with this. They also need to put a bounty out on others that get killed over there too. Not just the agents. That guy that got killed nearly a year ago over there riding the jet ski with his wife has still never been found. Put a bounty out on his killers also and advertise it across the border. A lot of people will spill the beans for a million dollars.
* Have a great Thursday, see ya Around The Corner!

7 comments:

Sherri said...

seems to me that i just turned 26 the other day... and now i'm 46... pushing 47... it happens all so fast! life is such a short time in the grand scheme of things... and when i look around and see so many bypassing this moment submerged in worry or anticipation over the next moment or the one that has passed... makes me sad... this moment is it! all we've got... relish it! i know, hard to do much of the time...

hey thanks for the Chico heads up!! keep your fingers crossed for us!!!

Answers? I don't know the questions. said...

I couldn't agree more about slowing your life down. I am the world's worst about always being in a hurry.

Engineer said...

A past gubernatorial candidate, Kinky Friedman, had what he called the "5 General" plan. Put $10 million in escrow, $2 million for each of 5 Mexican generals, each assigned to guard a portion of their side of the border. Everytime an illegal crossed to our side take $10,000 from it. Drug bust? Take $25,000 from it. What was left in the accounts would go to each of the 5. Watch how fast all this would stop.

ratherbesailin' said...

Yeah, you got me. I was the captain but not the owner, who was also aboard.I knew you would eventually. After that wreck on Texahoma I opted for ocean sailing, much safer.

The Angry Squaw said...

I agree completely. I am just now learning to slow down and really savor every moment, instead of constantly ignoring the now because I'm so worried about the future.

Thanks for the reminder post. Glad to know that I am not the only one that hurried and worried my way through my children's younger lives......

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you and your wife, for being good grandparents.. As they grow, be sure to go to the football, softball, basketball games and dance recitals..I really envy people who have that kind of support for their children..My parents have 9 grandchildren, but dont support any of them, they are using the time to just enjoy themselves..It dont make sense to me..
Boyd Fan

Anonymous said...

I agree completely about slowing down and it never hit me until I became a father. Hudson was born 5 minutes ago it seems and it really does fly by. It is especially alarming when you look at pictures!

Jeffro