Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself. Harvey S. Firestone

The people with whom you work reflect your own attitude. If you are suspicious, unfriendly and condescending, you will find these unlovely traits echoed all about you. But if you are on your best behavior, you will bring out the best in persons with whom you are going to spend most of your waking hours.

Some people get spiritual because they see the light and some people get spiritual because they feel the heat!

How do you know if you're truly a servant? See how you react the next time someone treats you like one.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Lake Friend Poem

A few years ago, a friend of mine that I have mentioned on here before, had earned the rank of General. I was asked to speak at the reception that followed. I elected to write a poem about our past and future. I enlisted a long time friend in helping me write it. After a few weeks, she and I came up with this. Thanks txtrigger, I haven't forgotten it!

My Lake Friend

I have a great friend that lives at the lake,
a better friend one could not make.

Folks have known him as Colonel Jim,
a rank that's never given on some kind of whim.

Jeanne is his beautiful wife,
she stands at his side through the perils of life.

Like when their son Jimbo decided to take out the boat,
and found when you hit land it's hard to stay afloat.

We've shared Margaritas together a few times or more,
while shooting hoops or during ping-pong out on the shore.

We've used kneeboards and skis to play on the lake,
with the wind in our face, behind us a wake.

But no more Brazilian beer for me,
or those nasty cigars smoked under a tree.

He stood up for our country in the Air Force Reserve,
with honor and dignity he did serve.

I've listened to the tales of that far away land,
wishing I had been with him to give him a hand.

And now as Jim is older and more wise,
the upper brass has watched him while he flies.

The decision was made for his rank to advance,
a decision that was made not just by chance.

So now when I go to the lake and hang out with my friend,
when the weather is hot and we have time to spend.

Talk of the years of his great career,
now if I'm thirsty I will have to ask the GENERAL for a beer.

No comments: